Thursday, January 15, 2009

God as Coach

Each year it's fashionable to make resolutions of the things we would like to accomplish in the new year. The most common resolution is to lose weight followed closely by getting out of debt. This year I have both of those and one more, I would like reach some level of proficiency with Spanish. I've had the first two on my resolution list for so many years I've thought of having them tattoo'd to by body. Since more resolutions fail than succeed, many people have paid personal trainers and life coaches to help them accomplish their resolutions. This can be an expensive situation and still can't guarantee success. I wonder if there isn't a better way?

As a follower of Jesus, I have it on good authority that God loves me. He loves everyone of course but not everyone knows it or wants it. I also have this, "being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Ph 1:6. I wonder if God would make a good coach? I know that He is already about transforming me. I know that He will give me wisdom if I ask. (James 1:5) In fact I know that I can cast all of my concerns on Him. I know that if I become ill that He may heal me. What if I ask Him to help me start now to be healthier and wiser? I wonder if I can ask Him to be my coach and help me with my resolutions?

Ok. So that's what I've done. I ask Him each day to help me make good food choices and to motivate me to the gym. What I really need is for Him to help me remember to ask Him each day. I've started the year somewhat imperfectly because I haven't asked the coach each day. But I keep asking. Some days I really don't feel like going to the gym. Am I alone here? Even so, strangely, I've still found myself there.

Interestingly as well, He has pointed out some of my habits that can be counter productive to success. I.e. crashing at the hotel when I get done with work and watching TV. Have you any idea how many food commercials and commercials to get me to buy stuff I don't need there are in an avg eve of TV (2 hours)? Me either but it's alot. As my coach He didn't just show me this but He helps me find other things to do with my discretionary time. BTW, by reducing my TV consumption I also support my other resolution of paying off debt. If I don't see it I may not want it. The jury is still out on that one. Not a perfect formula because I am bombarded by ads every where I go.

2 weeks into the year and I've had some consistency at the gym. Some changes in food selection but this will be harder.

I have a coach now who loves me, is always with me, has my best interests in mind, and has the power to motivate me.

I wonder what His resolutions are for me this year?

No comments: